Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Sep 2010 15:32:43 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: I am considering installing an auxiliary oil cooler
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@shaw.ca>

You are right Alistair, and of course in retrospect (and by the reasoning I applied) it needs to be. thanks for pointing it out, and I don't mind looking foolish (better not mind ;-) ) DMc

---- Alistair Bell <albell@shaw.ca> wrote: > If you read tencentlife's ad you will find that it is > thermostatically controlled > > 1. Oil Cooler Kit: all kits include Mocal sandwich plate adapter with > built-in thermostatic control valve, efficient stacked-plate cooler, > pre-built Parker hoses with spin-on fittings, custom support > structure, engine intake air ducting, and all hardware. All oil > cooler kits install easily with basic tools, in base of right D- > pillar. Detailed instructions are provided. > > Different kits are available depending on year/model: > >For 2.1 liter 2WD vans: $350. > >For 1.9 2WD vans: $420. > >For Syncro: $550. Syncro kit includes a built-in thermostatically > controlled SPAL fan to keep your oil cool during low-speed offroading > excursions. > > Oil Cooler Kit is strongly recommended to get the best performance > and longest service life from one of my rebuilds. I will increase > your warranty period from one year to two years when you buy and > install the oil cooler at the same time as your new engine. > > > > alistair > > > On 15-Sep-10, at 9:35 AM, Dave Mcneely wrote: > > Mark, the oil lines to the air cooled coils, for example a > TenCentLife oil cooler. But please tell me more about the option > you mentioned. Might be less prone to develop leaks, without oil > lines and connections? DMc > > ---- VWBrain@aol.com wrote: > > > > In a message dated 9/15/2010 11:23:38 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, > > mcneely4@COX.NET writes: > > > > It occurred to me that if the oil cooler works well, the oil might > > run too > > cool when ambient temperatures are relatively low. Is it possible > > (and > > practical, reasonable) to install a valve in the feed line for the > > cooler > > (and maybe another in the return line) that could be opened and > > closed > > depending on need? I realize that this would create an additional > > complication -- > > that it would be another point for possible failure. Or am I just > > trying > > to over engineer something? Anyone with experience with an > > auxiliary oil > > cooler might know if I am trying to solve a problem that doesn't > > exist. > > Maybe the oil would have no problem running hot enough, even with > > the extra > > cooling capacity. > > Thanks, DMc > > -- > > David McNeely > > > > > > > > hey David what feed lines? the coolant ones?? seems like a lot of > > trouble to use another water cooled oil cooler. They make a > > sandwich plate that > > allows you to hook up oil lines for a remote oil cooler that goes > > above the > > oil filter. this is the easiest way to install one and works very > > well on > > the type 4 motors we have put them on. I have never put one on a > > vannie > > later mark d > > -- > David McNeely >

-- David McNeely