Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Sep 2010 17:34:34 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rubber mats..
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

I got one of those very cushy pads they use in front of industrial equipment as a floor mat for the operator. Eight dollars, slick on top and foamy in the middle. It made a nice rear over-the-engine cover and I extended down under the seat, across the floor and up the front of the underseat area, so it's completely lined. I got the gowesty rubber mat for the middle and the heavy duty bus depot mats for the fronts.

Many rubber trees perished for my Vanagon.

Jim

Easy to clean and a little quieter, which a diesel can always use.

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 5:18 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > hey ...kinda clever running a stock inline four dipstick tube right into the > side of the filler tube at an angle. > kinda neat actually, if it works well. > > have you seen a 5 speed diesel vanagon dipstick and tube ? > they work well. > I call it an 'overhead' dipstick as it's up by the alternator .. > like at the top of the license plate opening ..check you oil lever from > there nicely. > I just make them out of metal fuel line bent in a curve .. > like a  copy of a stock 5 speed one ...and use some longish slender dipstick > from pick n' pull. > > but your filler nick/dipstick  one is a work of art. > > I find brazing works really well.....not on brass so much , but a > metal-to-metal .. > works well, is easy to do, and is arty too. > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Don Hanson" <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 6:33 AM > Subject: Rubber mats.. > > >>  For possible varied Vanagon and shop use.   I may have mentioned this >> before, if so sorry for the doubly- redundant redundancy.. >> >>  Look at horse stable mats as a possible source for floor covering or >> engine deck area mats in your vanagon.  I have them on some of my benches >> in >> the shop and as cushioning where I work.  They're made from reclaimed >> tires.  Come in various thicknesses and are really durable.  I have front >> floor mats cut from them in my van and one for outside under my slider in >> rough camping spots,  My wife has them in her barn and stable stalls. >> They >> would also work as sand traction mats for the Syncro crowd. >> >> Don Hanson >