Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 23 Sep 2010 10:41:44 -0700
From:         Roger Whittaker <rogerwhitt1@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Andrew Grebneff Memorial Fund - Final Status
Comments: To: Loren Busch <starwagen@gmail.com>

Dear fellows ... indeed we do have a wonderful community ... yet the thing that makes us what we are associated for does indeed draw us together i belong to a particular group that has it stated with in its definitions ... we are a group of persons who would not normally associate and yet we are bound together with a common problem and more importantly a common solution ... those who know this particular set of words know that each of us has been pulled from the particular peril the way a drowning man seizes a life preserver ...

also .. in my own town just over 100 years ago a mill was built and the workers began the Powell River Company Employees Sick & Benefit Societybegan a fund to look after sick and injured workers in the company town ... eventually setting enough money aside to build a hospital ... all from catching a 1$ or 2$ per pay packet ... they managed the $$ in that society for nearly 50 years ... then morphed into an auxiliary society to support rather than fund .. .

and to quote my other favorite singer .. Leonard Cohen ..in his song Suzzane ... and jesus saw from his lonely wooden tower that only drowning men would need him ...he said then all men shall be sailors ... until the sea can free them ...

so i believe there is a state we recognize as people ... a state of hopelessness ... many answer by saying oh those poor folks ... i hope someone does something ... others offer calls and cries to a deity ... some purchase an item they saw on the list of complaints and mail it to the persons

You know something interesting .. i one managed a small apartment building that burned down one sunday morning ... the call went out to the community to supply items to the 25 newly homeless families and individuals ... there was one fellow in the town who was very marginalized ... george .. a fellow who spent his days with a shopping cart picking bottles ...and often having to bear the brunt of the non understanding who threw bottles and cans at him .. sometimes rocks too ... george had something called a flat affect ... anyway george shows up at the scene of the fire in the early afternoon ... shopping cart in front of him ...and he presents me with two large packages of Toilet Paper ... enough for every one to have a roll ... i says gee george that is amazing ..and he replies in his flat scowl like way ... everyone needs this ... ... from him this was a smile ... and most certainly from me it was ...

i have been surrounded by various communities of people who have protected me ... loved me ... sheltered me... funded me ... and in a couple of cases they have included the sisters of mercy sweetening my night (again leonard cohen)

the van commuinyt simply offers me an opportunity to give back some of what i have been so richly given in my life ... through the PIFF yours

-- roger w From Proverbs: Under three things the earth trembles, under four it cannot bear up: a servant who becomes king ... ---------------------------------------------------------- Explore printed work at: http://www.prliving.ca/ View the growing list of video work at: http://revver.com/find/video/?query=LastonLastof&search_on=owners