Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Sep 2010 11:53:35 -0700
From:         mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Coolant/Oil that oil filter interface.. reasons

The "complex WBX oil pressure warning system" has nothing to do with WBX. AFAIK eventually VW used it on just about every VW, beginning even before they used it on the WBX.

Anyone with both temp gauges installed knows that oil temps climb higher and faster than "water" temps. The stock oil cooler does a job. VW deemed the job important on some engines and not important on others. I don't care if Don runs with or without the factory cooler his newer more powerful engine came with. His logic that if one engine didn't seem to need it no other engine does either seems a little off. I doubt that any major damage would be immediate in any case so if any does occur he can always blame it on the "used engine of unknown history" rather than anything he did.

The turbo diesel is harder on oil than the WBX is. Even the plain diesel engine Vanagons had the oil cooler, starting in 1981. The turbo diesel Vanagons can make enough engine heat that they were eventually built with different front floor body sections so more air flow could pass through the radiator and a larger diameter radiator fan was fitted than was used on WBX models of the same vintage.

Mark

Janne Ruohomäki wrote: > > I live in area where it can be really cold during winter. I am > planning to upgrade my oil/water heat exchanger to bigger one. That > combined with remote controlled webasto and electrical aux water/oil > pumps will give me evenly heated engine in no time every winter > morning. Oh.. and mine is going to be turbo diesel. I would assume WBX > engine could actually be a bit more demanding on the oil temperature. > Dont really know, just a hunch. I dont think they went with that > complex WBX oil pressure warning system just for kicks. > > I would assume that the oil in the engine makes closer friends with > the hotter parts of the engine than water. > > I think exiting oil is quite a bit warmer than exiting water. Havent > really measured, but Im sure someone can confirm or deny? > >