Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Sep 2010 19:20:10 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Apology to List...especially the Mechanics
Comments: To: Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM>

well Rich, no apolgies needed as far as I'm concerned.

here's what I tell people in a case like your steering rack.. I might say something like 'I noticed a smal leak on your PS rack. Seems to be fine for now, and it's not using fluid ..so 'just a note' on it for now. On the other hand, if you are taking a major 5 month trip to alaska and want to avoid any possibly anticipated problems ....you might want to do this now.. but for normal use, just keep an eye on it."

I advise them. YOU ARE RIGHT ....'many shops' talk like 'it's broken or almost broken and you need a whole new one."

Mark my words.. what most shops to is not look for the best way to spend your money .. what the look for are *justifyable, profittable, repair jobs* on your car or van.

and that is EXACTLY why you are a little suspecious. You are right to be a little suspecious. If they Really Cared.. they would be looking for ways for you to NOT spend money on your van that you don't need to.

Not that they'd let you ignore some issue that's better dealth with now.. but they will advise you on when is best to deal with an issue.

If they are trying to sell you a PS rack with a small leak .. they are looking for ways to get your money. What you would like to hear is what I suggested above...'we found a small leak, but for now, it's worthy of being monitored, you don't need a whole new PS rack really, not yet anyway. "

$ 250 for how many trans output flange reseal jobs ? sounded like the one side to me. even if it's both sides....$ 250 sounds like very 'fancy shop' prices to me.

AND for any sign of tired power steering where things are not really broken .. I would *always* service the power steering. I don't think anyone does. I'm sure there are people reading this that know there's a filter screen in the bottom of the PS resevoir . that should at least be inspected, and cleaned or replaced if that seems appropiate. Then .. pump all the old ATF out of it you can, feeding in new ATF as old comes out of the low pressure return line..Add Lucas brand power steering fluid conditioner ... I can pump out 3 qts of old ATF from a PS system,. fill it back up with Royal Purple synthetic ATF, and feel the difference in the system.

about fluids and mechanical devices.. the fluids carry heat away, the fluids keep the metal parts from actually touching and wearing. The properties of all automtive fluids wear out with time and miles.

in all fluid systems ....getting the old out,and new in, helps a lot. the one exception is if something is on its last legs ...just barely hanging in there but working .. in those situations, new fluids or treatments can push things over the edge to completel leaking or failure. but otherwise ..all fluid systems need the fluids refreshed on a regular basis if you are really trying to take care of it. and all our vanagons have ATF in the PS systems that's at least 10 years old .. if you see metal particles in the PS resevoir or screen ...that's a really bad sign. It's 'too late' pretty much if you see that.

and really ...that's what most shops do ..they look for 'justifiable, profittable repairs' ..for Them...has nothing to do ...... NOTHING to do at all with spending your money the best way, or taking care of your van really. it's like court .. in criminal court...'the truth' has nothing to do at all with what really goes on or how things turn out. It's what they can get away with ...that's where the focus is. Sadly. In many car shops. I don't know how they sleep at night.

I guess they don't like to think or have any real challenge ..I think it's really fun to figure out just what the exact right repair is for a given situation ..on the van, and for the customer.

For some rich people ...'all new everything' for them might be right. for the common hard working person .. it's the repair that will work the best, and last the longest, given the resources available to work with. Now that is a fun way to fix cars for people.

In the common shop system, there's no brains involved, no challenge................ no risk etc. in saying ...'you need a whole new one' and funny thing is .. even THEN you can loose ground ! I have people writing me that spend big, bit bucks thinking 'all new' was going to fix it once and for all, and yet ....even 3,000 dollars later ...they're still having problems..

I would really like to know ..actually measure workmanship quality in car repair in the US .. it's never addresssed in any automotive trade magazine .. yet up to half the work I see on cars and vans is 'weak'....things loose, left off, wrong thing done, super cheap parts etc ....very common actually. so ..point is ...'a whole new one' is no gurantee that it'll be done right. Many shops 'sell' ..they diagnose without serious care, sell the job ... sell the job...like 'all new hoses' say ..then they have their lowest trained tech do it quickly .. when half the time you didn't even really need that in the first place. And the work is sloppy too.

and they will speak to you like you must be dumb if you question them .. and like you don't have any option about the repairs they recommend.

and ...serious warning here again .. they will do this even worse for women !!!!! because they don't think women will not know they're getting a bad job done.

I don't think many people in this culture have much of an idea what 'service' is ...being in serivce.. being in service to a cause ..being in service to really doing great work for people. I really don't know how some people sleep at night, they are so far from that evidently-unknown-to-them, concept.

May Vanaon get great service and repairs at fair prices wherever they go ! scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jake de Villiers" <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, September 24, 2010 12:10 PM Subject: Re: Apology to List...especially the Mechanics