Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 25 Sep 2010 20:30:53 +0000
From:         B Feddish <uprightbassghost@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Battery and OX light on
Comments: To: mark drillock <mdrillock@cox.net>

hmmmm. that sounds like the best thing to try but i'm in a campsite right now and i'm a bit squeamish about taking anything apart at the moment. btw, the belt looks good and thanks to the person who mentioned checking it. from what i am gathering is it apears i do have an alternator issue so i called autozone, 20 miles north of here on the way home, and they are going to have an alternator waiting for me tomorrrow morning. its cheap insurance that i can have with me the way back. i think if i were at home and did not have the family with me i'd tinker with it myself and save some dough. thanks again for everyones help. bryan ---------- Sent from my Verizon Wireless mobile phone

-----Original Message----- From: mark drillock Sent: 9/25/2010 7:48:32 PM To: B Feddish Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Battery and OX light on This usually means the brushes are worn too short and are only barely making contact, or at least one of them is. If you take out the 2 small screws and remove the brush/reg assembly you can see. I have found that pulling the brush out will slightly stretch the wire that is acting as a leash. Then the brush will make good contact again for a little while. If this works for you then you will know to order a new brush/reg assembly quick.

Always unhook the battery ground cable when working with the alternator.

Mark

B Feddish wrote: > My battery and ox light keep coming on at the same time. They stay on for awhile then go out again. I have the van parked now and while I have been checking the voltage at the alternator the lights have not gone back on. I think they will go back on again when I drive. The voltage at the alternator was 13.5. > This may be a coincdecence but the OX light was on for my drip down yesterday and I crawled under the van to shut it off. > Any suggestions and if by chance my alternator is bad how far can I drive on a battery without the headlights? I have a full Aux battery too. > Thanks,Bryan