Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Sep 2010 16:42:38 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: 90 Westy - Soft Brakes after driving with E-brake on for 30
              miles
Comments: To: Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@GMAIL.COM>

the suggestion to activate the self-adjusting feature is a good idea.

though I think it's safer to at least inspect, especially if the rear drums will come off easily.

on the self-adjusting feature.. I believe it works going forward too.. if the shoes move out far enough for the paw to grab another tooth on the self-adjusting wheel, it will, regardless of direction of rotation.

it also depends on if you are just trying to 'help' or really make sure it's reasonably safe.

I won't do a master cylinder say, on a strange car without looking at the brakes in each wheel , for example, first, just to be sure you have 4 wheel's worth of brakes worthy of a new master cylinder.

You can get in trouble 'assuming' with brakes ..supposing it repsonds to self-adjusting, but the brake shoe material is cracked or unbonded from the brake shoe .. if that's the case, you'd like to know about it.

so LOOK ... seems to me there is often a lot of speculation or getting parts in advance, or wondering 'what part it is' ....when no one has LOOKED first. I mean even questions about 'what might be going on why an engine doesn't run right...when it seems that the poster hasn't even lifted the engine cover ... you never know .. there could be a big hose off, an animal living in there ..a million possibilities, all cases in which *looking first* can reveal a lot.

that's what the dentist does after all, right ..they LOOK and they inspect and they x-ray, then they decide what to do. It only makes sense. ..

*especially* if your goal is a good solid safe result.

enjoy vanagons, safely !

scott ----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob Stevens" <mtbiker62@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, September 26, 2010 4:13 PM Subject: Re: 90 Westy - Soft Brakes after driving with E-brake on for 30 miles