Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Sep 2010 17:38:41 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Good/bad vanagon design,
              waS  - Soft Brakes after driving with E-brake on for 30
              miles
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

oh boy we could go a long way with this topic.

For sure the shorter parking brake handle fitted before mid-85 is really weak and poorly designed. I have not had any problems with heater valves.. but any smart 10 year old could do a better job designed the cable and lever that controls it .. it can't work long time .. particularily since the cables are seldom lubed ... it pulls to turn on water flow, but it has to push the inner cable in a not-very-desireble arc to push the cable back in ...with no lube, about the 400th time the temp is reduced ..the cable buckles. then it's always on some. not hard to fix, but ultra cheap and not-well-thought out design.

I havn't had any problems with head lights swtiches. Still havn't gotten around to putting in head light relays that I have .. mostly the switches are not that bad. 'vw grade' I'd say.

the waterboxer head gakset design is a total joke. it's obviously a converted air-cooled design. Virtually *all* normal engines have a head or heads with flat bottoms.. so the combustion sealing and the coolant sealing take place on one flat plane .. and the flat head gasket is held down with thousands of lbs of force.

on the water boxer ..the bottom of the head is not flat. combustion sealing takes place at the top of the barrels, with metal rings. the head stud nuts are torqued to only 37 ft lbs...not a huge amount of force there.. but that part isn't 'that bad'..

what's super dumb, is the heads are suppossed to sit on the barrels so they squaze the outer rubber 'water retention gaskets' ....exactly the right amount.

sometimes that works. sometimes...the head squeazes that rubber gasket too much, and they pinch and split ...and leak after a year or so. Sometimes the head does not squease the rubber enough ..and those can leak after a while. sometimes the head even sits tilted on the barrels..... and the rubber is squeaszed to tight on one end, not enough on the other. a pure joke .. no engine running around anywhere.. uses rubber to keep the coolant in the engine arond the heads. like duh ! lol. but we love 'em anyway. and we manage to deal with them well enough ..but as far as engine-block-to-head sealing .. purely a joke effort. I like what pual guzak said .. " I know how it got that way ....they told the engineers they had 30 days to come up with a water cooled opposed four alumnum engine." ...and this was their 'solution.'

VW probably nnew that 'most' waterboxer engines would hold together long enough to get through the warrantee period. If VW wasn't loved so much ... that could have been a real marketing and financial disaster.

it's also an example fo something that 'theoretically' should work ... but the real world is different ...stuff happens .. even if engineers' calculations say it should work.

overall though .. I have few complaints about vanagons mechanically . Might have changed a few things here and there for sure ..and quality could always be higher .. take the little cheap plastic igntion switch for example...the equivilant part in a mercedes or volvo or whatever quality car is about 5 times more robust than VW's little part there.

but we do fine with vanagons despite their various little gotchas here and there. They ain't bad ... not at all, and there's nothing around, quite, that they are. .. a sporty van. for what they are .....the last of the rear engine genre in vans ...they're great ! Decent ground clearance is a brilliant design element too !! That one single element adds massively to their utility .. even if it only means it's easy to dive under it and eyeball the fuel pump or whatever. Mabye 15 things not so great.. about 75 to 150 things that are great on them.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Hanson" <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, September 26, 2010 4:55 PM Subject: Re: 90 Westy - Soft Brakes after driving with E-brake on for 30 miles