Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Sep 2010 18:39:25 -0700
From:         Evan Mac Donald <evanm@ATT.NET>
Subject:      Re: New alternator in, was RE: Battery and OX light on  -

It is a corollary of Murphy's Law -- "If something can go wrong, it will pick the worst time to do it." Most mechanics, and us drivers of of older vehicles, are familiar with the concept, and its applications... ________________________________ From: B Feddish <uprightbassghost@HOTMAIL.COM> To: vanagon@ is acorallary of Murphy's Law - Thanks again for everyones help.  Playing it safe, I did not mess with the alternator in the campground.  I called Autozone yesterday and scheduled to have a reman waiting for me 25 miles north of Assateque at Autozone which was on my way home.  I Hooked up my jumper box to the battery and ketp it turned off in case the battery died mid flight.  I picked up the alternator and tucked it in the back of the van for extra piece of mind. I drove home in the rain with those red dash lights screaming at me and used the wipers maybe once.  I kept all my lights off even though that's not only against my better judegemet but against the law now in most states.  When I got home I tried to start the van just for kicks. The battery was dead.  Took the old alternator off and struggled like a chimp banging with a club trying to get that pulley off. All the previous posts mentioned some allen wrench. There was no allen slot to be found. I drove it over to our new Advanced Auto Parts store the guys there took it off for me. I thought I'd have to drive it back to put it on but the reman had the allen wrench slot on it. Unlike my old one.  Anyway. I'm all set. And if anyone can figure out why my van has chosen to have hiccups only when I've been camping this summer I'd love to know. I've been using it as my daily driver since February to break the engine in and it's been fine. It likes to pick my vacation jaunts... Bryan