Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Sep 2010 20:01:43 -0400
From:         Michael Snow <slowmachine82@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Manual Transmission Leaking at CV Joint
Comments: To: Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@sbcglobal.net>

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 6:28 PM, Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@sbcglobal.net> wrote: > > So, before I head to the mechanic, I wanted to get some advice....what is the probable problem, and what is the probable fix?  Can it be done with transmission in place and still connected to engine?  Any idea of what this might cost? >

Keep in mind that there are three seals beneath the CV joint. The disc in the center of the drive flange and the flange seal have already been mentioned. I have changed them about a dozen times and am no longer hesitant to do it in the driveway.

The third seal is an o-ring that fits around the circumference of the differential adjuster (large aluminum cylinder) beneath the drive flange. The black plastic retainer holds it in place. I have replaced this seal in my garage with one rear wheel on a stand to minimize gear oil loss. Scribing a clear index line and carefully counting the number of turns to unscrew the adjuster is critical to success, as this adjusts your ring/pinion engagement inside the transmission. With any luck, replacing the two outer seals will fix the leak. If not, you will have to go back in and do the third. I bought the seal from the VW dealer for about $5, and the proper tool for unscrewing the adjuster was $90. In retrospect, I could have made my own tool from aluminum or even plywood.

-- Michael Snow 1987 Syncro TiiCo 1982 Westfalia 1.9TD http://slowmachine82.blogspot.com/