Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Sep 2010 17:08:53 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Manual Transmission Leaking at CV Joint
Comments: To: Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>

sounds like things are heading in the right direction.

if that's what it is, I would for sure NOT mess with the other side.

btw, when one finds a flange that's been running loose and floppy on the short shaft it sits on .. naturally you hope the flange splines are the worn ones if any, and the part inside the trans isn't worn.

'usually' .. if there is wear on those splines, there's more wear on the flange part and a good used one fits more tightly on the splines than the flange that came off. 'if' you happen to have some 'loose flange' syndrome,that is, but I hope you don't have that going on !

Scott turbovans ----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Koerner" <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 4:54 PM Subject: Re: Manual Transmission Leaking at CV Joint

Called mechanic. He agrees that it's probably the seal at the drive flange on transmission. He did mention that either the seal is just plain worn out, or that excessive play in the drive shaft is causing the seal to wear out, in which case the new seal will quickly become worn, too and the problem is more serious. He will drop the CV Joint down with tranny in place, and see what's going on; let's hope it's just a worn seal. Boots are definitely good all around, as are CV joints. Taking it in first thing tomorrow morning. Should I be proactive and replace both sides while I'm at it (if it's just the seals)? Or leave well enough alone?

Rich San Diego