Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Sep 2010 18:04:45 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Putting a 2wd transmission into a Syncro?
Comments: To: Will Taygan <lists@ALASKABIODIESEL.ORG>

no Will, a gasoline waterboxer bell housing only comes in one version.. for both syncro or 2WD. ( not diesel of course ) yes, input shaft the same. it's a waterboxer engine going onto a waterboxer trans. Good to wonder what is different though.

I would say though.. as I mentioned earlier .. don't just jam the front trans mount up to the frame and bolt it there 2WD style .. the nose of the trans will come out high .. I believe.. at least check that carefully. that's the only real difference...engine and trans altitude in the body .. it could be .

I just looked at two vans. a 91 sycnro, and an 85 2WD.. the trans does appear to be higher up in the body of the 2WD van.

and we know for sure the engine is 2 inches lower in a syncro compared to 2WD.. so just pay careful attention at the front of the trans.

I would expect the 2WD front trans mount to need to be spaced down some. perhaps an inch.

Scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "Will Taygan" <lists@ALASKABIODIESEL.ORG> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 5:33 PM Subject: Re: Putting a 2wd transmission into a Syncro?