Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (October 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Oct 2010 16:45:47 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: TenCentLife TPS experience??
Comments: To: Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@Q.COM>

hi Karl. sure, 'yes' on both.

I installed the electro/pneumatic TPS unit .. on one of his engines. ( more below on that ) ..

My first thought on that unit .. that it senses idle position of the throttle plate by measuring air pressure/vacuum .. and responds to that .........and that has to be far superior to depending on a mechanical switch .. considering that throttle bodies wear, that the mechanical micro switches or their mounting can wear etc. It's using electronics to transcend the limitations of mechanical devices...always a leap forward.

And installing one of Chris Corkin's 'better waterboxer 2.2' engines I emailed with him a bunch. The guy is one smart dude in my opinion. I am seldom impressed ....but I am with Chris.. articulate, gives excellent directions, for example, on installing his oil cooler kit .. I can tell he really gives it 200 % effort.

the engine was just perfect. Flawless even. He's thorough about break instructions and break in oil..and so forth.

About the electro/pneumatic switch. On this particular van and engine ......... part of the story is that this van was a rusted to near death 91 Syncro .....needing just 'everything' .... so 'most' parts on it ......were either missing, broken, or just very tired.

I put the original throttle body back on. Oddly, the air bypass screw on it had minimal affect on idle rpm. The pneumatic switch seemed to be working, there's a small red LED on it ..showing it gets power. the van idled well enough ... just didn't seem to respond to the air bypass screw...both before I put on the gizmo and afterwards.

Whether that throttle body was faulty, or clogged, or whatever I didn't find out - the van needed dozens and *dozens* ( ! ) of things done to it just to be able to install engine and trans .. so feeling like I put about 50 extra hours into it I wasn't about to go digging in yet another system or part , since I'd already given away so much time on that job.

I asked Chris about the idle...if he had any thoughts. It 'sounded' different to me too. it also had new Dune Buggy/racing type headers on it .........thought that might be a factor in the idle quality or sound.

He told me that VW uses a cam that gives a nice idle, and that he uses a cam that has a slightly different cam profile ...........that gives less of an optimum idle but a nicer power band. It idled just fine . but not like a stock waterboxer quite. and it ran very well. 'Bout the best waterboxer I've ever driven.

As far as I could tell, the idle switch gizmo worked... and Chris is a super meticulous engine builder, and his engine is 'The' enhanced waterboxer engine I recommend these days .........the only one actually.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Karl Wolz" <wolzphoto@Q.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 4:17 PM Subject: TenCentLife TPS experience??