Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 Oct 2010 16:48:38 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      need electrics advice..wiring in some gauges and..

...and I am such an electrical dunce that I'm often better off asking than trying to figure it out from Bently diagrams or circuit stuff. I am learning, but...

I have an 84. I am mounting Oil Temp and Oil pressure gauges..I know how to get the gauge signals right and make the gauges work properly...but can someone tell me where to get a "modulated' power lead for the gauge lights? A source that is controlled by the instrument panel dimmer switch? The gauges..one Autometer one VDO both have secondary circuits to a little plug-in light...Positive and ground spade terminals. So if it's possible, I would like to tie those into my dash lights so they all dim the same amount. I find having gauges that aren't dimmable (nice word, eh?) is distracting on long dark late night drives...

Can someone direct me to the right place to take off the power for the gauge lights? Back of the wheel below the headlight switch maybe? Or right at the foil somewhere?

Theory will be wasted on me. I try, but I know not the diff between a resistor and a capacitor, a watt and an amp...an Ohm and an armature..

Thanks, if anyone has the time.. Don Hanson