Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 Oct 2010 21:01:09 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Westy aux power straight from the dealer
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

Loren's way, with the relay in the auxiliary battery box and no second battery, is the way my campmobile is set up, and the way the owner's manual describes it as working. I have no idea about other set ups than the Campmobile one. DMc

---- Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM> wrote: > I'm pretty sure the 85 Wolfsburg Weekender I had .. > was originally delivered with two batteries. > it has the under-driver's seat relay for charging an aux battery. > and it had one of those white plastic case, 'vw-audi' batteries with blue > lettering , if anyone remembers those. > I saw tons of these exact batteries in VW's in the late 80's, early 90's... > but hadn't see one in years and years. > > I am pretty sure I was the first person to ever inspect that 2nd battery > under the driver's seat ...it had been cooked dry a long, long time ago, and > sitting there dead for years. Pretty sure no one ever even knew it was > there at all. > There's no indication that the relay under the seat wasn't factory > installed.. > pretty sure it came with two batteries, from day one, in germany. > > The reason it had that two battery system is it comes with a 12volt / 110AC > fridge .. > that attaches to the floor just inside the sliding door with two screws ... > ones you can undo with your fingers. > > the relay keeps starting battery voltage from being drained by the fridge > when engine isn't running. > Only power from the aux batt can get to the fridge with engine > off,...........then then when alternator charges, relay energizes, and # 2 > batt is charged . > > I think it was pretty clever of them to make aux battery charging happen > only after alternator is charging. > Makes total sense of course. > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Loren Busch" <starwagen@GMAIL.COM> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Saturday, October 02, 2010 6:26 PM > Subject: Re: Westy aux power straight from the dealer > > > > On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 6:10 PM, Mark Hineline > > <hineline@ocotillofield.net>wrote: > > > >> There are so many permutations (and problems) with providing auxiliary > >> power that I wondered how Westies were equipped when they left the > >> dealer's lot, and how they performed as campers when new (and > >> presumably fitted with only one battery). > >> > > > > From the factory, Westfalia camper package, with single battery, used one > > realy, in the aux battery compartment, that would provide 12v to the > > refrigerator when the engine was running only. At least that's what I > > understand. All the rest of the aux stuff (radio, lights, etc) had to > > come > > off the starting battery.

-- David McNeely