Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 Oct 2010 21:03:43 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: subject Re: Westy aux power straight from the dealer
Comments: To: Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>

Yup, on the "new" style fuse panel (blade fuses) its fuse #3. Crimp on a male spade terminal to line from aux battery and lead up and around panel so it can be pushed into the *lower* female spade terminal on the fuse location (fuse removed, circuit now fuse protected from new small fuse panel described below. Alternate would be to put in inline fuse).

I have that set up right now on my van, fuse#3 powers radio, interior lights, lighter.

Back at my dual aux batteries (2 small 12 A/hr gel cells under driver's seat) I have a small aux fuse panel (from new beetle) that takes power from my automatic charging relay ) which is beside starting battery, under pass. seat) and sends it to the above mentioned fuse #3. The small panel is fused and has distribution points for further power needs.

Or, you can follow the wiring instruction in bentley for dual battery set up.

alistair

On 2-Oct-10, at 8:18 PM, Loren Busch wrote:

On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 6:40 PM, Mike Miller <mwmiller@cwnet.com> wrote:

> As I understand it if a single fuse, (don't remember the number) is > removed > and powered is applied directly to the hot side from the auxiliary > battery > then all those things are only powered from the aux battery. This > is what > I'm planning to do on mine, as soon as I find out which fuse it is. >

Fuse 3 BUT may be different depending on earlier years? Fuse 3 on the later models. And in my case ('90 WEsty) had to do some jumpers on a couple of plugs also.