Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Oct 2010 12:41:40 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Always Look Under a Bus!
Comments: To: Mike South <msouth@gmail.com>

Hi Mike, if you are advocating crimp type fuel hose clamps as a better set up for 'put it together and 'just leave it alone' deal" ........sure makes fine sense.

yeah...if the goal is to not work on it much, to not be inspecting things now and then, to not be doing some little service or upgrade a couple weekends a month , and so on ... if the idea is 'to not work on it ever' as much as possible .... crimp type hose clamps might be better for that type of vanagon owner. Like a more 'hands off' type of owner.

If on the other hand ... there is another world in automotive machines that is different than the 'normal world' ...where you don't work on, or even much inspect a car or van ...except to fix it when it breaks, or do regular services ......

that other world is one where there is frequent upgrades, inspections, tweaking, fine tuning .. like a race car ....... on vehicles like that , they're worked on a lot ... either in prep for the next race....and more commonly, trying this tweak or that tweak ... some new system or adjustment etc.

and I suppose it depends on how one regards working on ones car or van. For some people it's fun, it's a hobby , it's what they do to enjoy their van or car.

Other people just want it to work. For some people .............having to work on their car or van is a bother, a task to be avoided .. just a chore to save money , etc. .. for those people ..yes, new fuel hoses with crimp hose clamps, the goal being the can stay on the van untouched for years and years.

Personally .......I think it's fun to be directly and personally involved in ones van's integrity, smoothness of operation ....and ...really, there are so many things unserviced and unlubed on vans it's just silly .. and unlubed and unserviced things wear, and lubed and serviced they barely wear.

so depends on the type of owner and what their goals are say. To me ....working on a van or car is not a bad thing, not a necessary evil... it's a fun nurturing thing to do.

there.....that nails it right there.. for those who think working on their vanagon is an necessary evil, to be avoided if possible.. then yes, perhaps they might prefer crimp style hose clamps.

Those who might check their fuel pressure, or fiddle with injectors that don't have very good spray patterns and that sort of thing ....they might squeak by with a form of screw-type fuel injection hose clamp .. and what is *Wrong* with Mercedes anyway ...using stainless steel band clamps with a screw on the side anyway !! ?

I don't particularly like one time use , then throw it away, type things in general, so that's a factor for me. and I know darn well someone could undo a screw clamp on the side of the road to fix something, and put that clamp back on and get going again .. and that might be a reason to have reusable fuel hose clamps. Those who just get their van towed to a shop don't need re-usable hose clamps.

you watch .....in time, landfills will get dug up and all that stuff recycled.. the way it's going .....humans cannot continue to pack landfills willy-nilly with every wallmart and McDonald's package or wrapper forever. So no thanks on disposable hose clamps for me.

and a crimp type hose clamp is not likely to prevent a fire more than a good type screw one.

AND ...isn't this funny ! THE SPOT THAT LEAKS on vanagons that causes many fires .. uses a crimp type hose clamp, installed at the factory ....! and a bit hard to get at or see ... and crimp type hose clamps don't hold the same pressure on the hose after the hose gets old and hard... so sorry ........they have their purpose I suppose, but I can't really see that they are better. ----- Original Message ----- From: Mike South To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans Cc: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com Sent: Sunday, October 03, 2010 11:37 AM Subject: Re: Always Look Under a Bus!