Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Oct 2010 04:22:44 -0700
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      September 2010 Van-O-Rama #10 Report
Comments: To: "van.o.rama@gmail.com" <van.o.rama@gmail.com>

Very sorry for the late report. For what it's worth, please check the photos at this link:

http://picasaweb.google.com/van.o.rama/VanORama2010?feat=directlink

The sun was out. Weather beautiful essentially for the entire day.

Karl Wolz from Arid-zoner decided to grace us with his presence after a nine year absence. Thanks for making the trip, Karl. And thanks for sending the pics taken with the new wide angle lens. He had such a wide big kid grin when he was showing off his new toy. Photos from 12 to 48 were courtesy of Karl. Believe me when I say that wide angle lens makes your gut look bigger than any keg of beer can make it.

A dozen or so of the usual suspects sent regrets for one reason or another. They had other things going on. Some had to do with the 9/11 memorials. Then there's the look of a war zone a mile or two away. If you haven't heard, there was a massive explosion in the next city over. Largest in utility PG&E's history. There were a number of fatalities and 10 acres or scorch earth and the homes on top of it.

Anyway, back to VOR. Shaun Supanich, Kim & Nathan Springer, and Stacy Schneider came in Tristars (yes, plural). Kim's buddy Charlie Kissick left his Tristar at home in favor of a nicely restored '83 Westy, albeit with battle scars caused by an errant school bus. Rounding out the Doublecabs was Mario's Syncro Doka with two kids in tow.

BTW, thanks to Stacy and his fantastic stainless steel gas can. My Subie powered GL was sitting dead around the corner apparently lacking enough fuel to get motivated. Stacy had fuel handy for both van and driver. 'Mini-me Stacy' wasn't there but his Daddy was hawking chocolates of which this author could not resist.

There was a PhishermanBrian with son Bodie. Apologies if I mispell your names. Bodie was a terror on wheels. Two of them on his 'Skuut' scooter. This was their first VOR and hopefully not the last. If only Bodie can keep his Skuut from running over my feet...

Mike Miller brought his Country Homes Syncro with a Westy interior and freshly minted Westy poptop. He had this fellow Brian, weld in the Westy roof the hard way. Little is left of the CH. Seems calling it a Westy conversion is now more appropriate. MIke gave me the CH poptop. Delivery by Brian for gas money. The plan is to install the CH top on my Doka's Vindic canopy. More on that later.

Ed & Linda Mattson came down from Shingle Springs with their Adventurewagen to see what we flatlanders do with our Vanagons. Tony Bonomo with his Colorado Syncro came down as well. Hans and kids Karle and Arriana drove in complete with playa dust fresh from Burning Man. Craig Forney brought a Westy he saved from the vultures at Pick-Ur-Part. Detlev and wife Dunia (sp?) brought their grandson. Detlev was handing out HA Projekt catalogs. Detlev is now a US distributor for them. Dennis came with his Syncro. Chris Vernon brought his freshened aircooled Westy. Finally, Marco from the Bus Lab came with an unusual Wasseboxer on two wheels.

Projects and life in general has been getting in the way of this report. For that I apologize. Various plans to expand VOR this year did not materialize due to lack of interest. Maybe another year. At least it won't be falling on 9/11 neat year.

Hope you enjoy the pics. Many thanks to those who came.

BenT