Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Oct 2010 11:15:04 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Save the Bus in D.C. - Freedom of expression - Save the Peace
              Mobile
Comments: To: Steven Johnson <sjohnso2000@GMAIL.COM>

Perhaps abandoned was not the proper word to use. But my remarks stand otherwise. Getting it running? Here is a quote from the article:

"The vehicle, which is now minus an engine and has been parked on the family’s lawn since the spring .... ."

Sure, an engine could be put in, and maybe it could be gotten to run. I don't think transportation is the idea here. And I sympathize with the owner's of this community hazard, but an old vehicle in the yard is at best an attractive nuisance -- a place where curious children may end up. Just as not every VW van that was turned in during the "Cash for Clunkers" program was a tragic loss of a valuable resource (most were simply old, worn out vehicles), allowing someone to keep in their yard an old piece of junk that contains environmentally dangerous fluids and invites children to investigate, possibly becoming injured, is not good community stewardship.

I would object if this thing were in my neighborhood.

Perhaps the owners can find another way to express their "oneness" with other aging hippies (like myself), maybe a vehicle that is actually functional. I'm still considering putting flowers on mine (though it is not from the hippy era, most people who see it don't seem to know the difference).

Another option is to place such a vehicle in the ownership of an arts group, which could spend the money to properly prepare the thing for display in such a way as not to be a community hazard. Even playgrounds can host such vehicles if properly handled before placement, if encouraging safe youthful exploration is one goal.

DMc

---- Steven Johnson <sjohnso2000@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > The vehicle is not abandoned, it's just not registered. I wonder if > registering it would make a difference. > If they got it running again and moved occasionally, it would probably not > be an issue.... > > Steven > 91 Westy > > Personnely, I think this thread merits more Vanagon content than many > threads posted here > during the non-Friday week... IMHO > > On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 6:41 AM, Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@cox.net> wrote: > > > Well, now that I've commented, we'll be slapped by the content bosses. But > > I will comment anyway. > > > > Now, I'm a guy who has had my share of fusses with my city officials over > > the condition of my yard -- I try to maintain a wildlife friendly property, > > and that means not keeping a manicured lawn in a city where anyone not an > > absolute conformist is not just suspect, but considered unAmerican. That > > said, an old abandoned vehicle, whether claimed to be art or not, is a > > hazard. The fact that it is a brand that folks on this list favor, or that > > it has "nostalgic value" for those of who led the hippy lifestyle is > > irrelevant. > > > > Sincerely, David McNeely > > > > ---- Joel Cort <joel_cort@YAHOO.COM> wrote: > > > It's no Fryday but have you guys seen this controversy about the VW bus > > in the > > Palisades DC area? > > > > > > http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/10/04/s-styled-rally-spurs-save-psychedelic-bus/ > > > > > > http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/dc/neighborhood-peace-mobile-creates-controversy-100410 > > > > Happy Camping, > > Joel Cort > > Rochester NY > > > > > > jcort@rochester.rr.com > > joel_cort@yahoo.com > > > > > > 89 Syncro Westy (VanGo) > > 87 Syncro Transporter (Stella) > > 73 Westy Campmobile (Agent Orange) > > > > > > Western New York LiMBO Representative www.limbobus.org > > Founding member of the Empire State VW Camping Club > > www.empirevwcamping.org > > Westies@Watkins IX is set for October 7-8-9-10, 2010 > > www.westies-at-watkins.org > > > > > > > > > > -- > > David McNeely > >

-- David McNeely