Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Oct 2010 16:08:20 -0700
From:         Zach Hale <zach@ZACHHALE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Unusual vibration while accelerating
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

Wow thanks to all of you, especially Scott! I will let you know what I come to find.

Zach

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > There is nothing like actual visual inspection . > > the natural thing to do is start checking for .. > > 1.  worn out rear rubber engine mounts ( 4 ) > 2.  this one in particular, especially on a 2.1 ...the 3 bolts that hold the > rear aluminum 'mount bar' .... >  ...it's on top of the rubber mounts, screwed to the rear of the engine > case with three 10mm bolts.. > it's not that uncommon for those to be loose, and often with one broken off > in the case. > 3.   front trans mount, either loose bolts or shot rubber mount > 4. lower engine mounting studs ......I've seen one of those broken , though > rarely. > 5.   CV joints ....easily can cause vibes if they're  very dry and stiff or > badly worn. > 6. not likely to be rear wheel bearings but those should be checked too. > > let us know what(ever)   you find ! > Scott > www.turbovans.com > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Alistair Bell" <albell@SHAW.CA> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2010 11:33 AM > Subject: Re: Unusual vibration while accelerating > > >> maybe, engine mounts broken or loose. >> >> Have a look at how much engine moves when reving engine, car parked >> in neutral. >> >> and further, have handbrake on hard, car in 3 or 4th, helper in >> driver's seat, and you looking at engine as helper lets out clutch >> medium slow, and eventually stalls engine. That will put strain on >> mounts. >> >> its just a guess, but not to hard to check out and discount/confirm. >> >> alistair >> >> On 6-Oct-10, at 11:06 AM, Zach Hale wrote: >> >> Hey all, >> >> I've noticed over the last 2-3 months in my 85 Vanagon when I have a >> strong head wind, accelerating on the highway especially with an >> incline that the car gets into a vibration that ends generally no more >> than 10 seconds later either after I've gone over the hump or have let >> off on the gas to strain the engine less. I don't want to assume it >> has to do with something connected to the engine, but those are the >> symptoms as far as I can reason. I'm writing in because now it's felt >> like it has happened a couple times when going in the 30-40 mph range >> just around town (normally hard to tell due to our wretched Seattle >> streets). Note that this does not seem to be a symptom of driving at >> low rpms as I've always been going at least around 2500 rpm when this >> happens. >> >> 3500 miles ago I had new tires put on it (recently rotated), my power >> steering rack replaced, and an alignment done. >> >> I'm not sure what to look into or check. Does anybody have any ideas >> for what to suspect? Should it be cause for concern? >> >> Thanks! >> Zach >