Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Oct 2010 18:27:26 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: Oil filter flange Coolant/Oil heat exchanger...works.
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

geez Don, so the VW engineers were not just blowing smoke after all?

:)

Added benefit of the exchanger/cooler is faster oil warm up in cold weather.

alistair

On 6-Oct-10, at 5:58 PM, Don Hanson wrote:

Not long ago I queried the list about the oil filter-incorporated Oil/coolant cooler that many VW seem to have. My old 1.8 liter Jetta inline motor in my van did not have one but the replacment 2.0 liter motor I just installed did. So I was curious as to whether they actually did anything...they looked pretty small to me and I figured the temperature difference between the coolant and the engine oil couldn't be so much that the 'cooler' would help.

Anyhow, I had mine running with out the plumbing going to that heat exchanger/cooler, whatever you might want to call em. I didn't have any hoses or plumbing from my other motor and it ran fine without one so...But since this was a hybrid of two different motors, I decided I really wanted to KNOW how it was working, inside..so I installed a real (analog) oil pressure gauge and an oil temperature gauge..and I found my oil was getting too hot for my liking..Running it at 65mph on a 40 mile highway cruise showed the temperature of the oil stabilized at about 240f...and the oil pressure went down as the oil temp went up...15w 40w regular oil running in air temps of about 75-80f.

So I plumbed in the coolant lines to the top of the oil filter, the oil/coolant heat exchanger deal. It brought my oil temp down by about 35degrees on the same highway drive, same temps outside, same speed...and my oil pressure stayed up better, since the oil was significantly cooler. Now my oil temp hovers at around 200-205f and my OP is around 30psi at 3000 rpm (60mph in my rig).

I was surprised. So there you go...if you have an old style without the oil/coolant filter mount and you want to cool down your internals, find one of the oil cooler filter mounts...they are the same (on my motor) fit..and bolt right on..

I will probably add a real oil cooler, too, for further cooling on my motor...

Don Hanson