Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Oct 2010 21:33:04 -0400
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott3@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Anyone Recommend an Overnight Camp Spot Along I81
Comments: To: dlwilhite@COMCAST.NET

Just N. of Kingsport is Natural Tunnel State Park in Va. (Do not confuse this with Natural Bridge, VA) I can't quite remember how far from I-81, maybe 30-40 minutes? Nice little campground, make sure it's not full. Very nice bath house I remember... The natural tunnel is very dramatic bare rock scenery, reminded me of a tiny Yosemite if you can believe that. It's a small park and not a ton of stuff to do and see there, but you don't have much time either.

As David Clarkson mentions, the Mt. Rogers Rec Area is beautiful but I think you'll be getting a ways from I-81 if you go very far in there. US 58 is quite winding and slow. Oh, I see the Bear Tree Campground is only about 18 miles from I-81. I have stayed there. It is a National Park type campground, can't remember if it had hot showers etc...

I have also Wal-mart camped at the ones in Bristol and Wytheville, both very close to I-81 but sounds like you want a real campground, not stealth. And here I can plug my latest find in that area: http://rec.wytheville.org/aquatics.php the Wytheville Community Center. Big fancy pool complex with mini water park, whirlpool, etc. Nice locker rooms, lots of exercise equipment, pretty lengthy hours of operation. You can go on a $6 one day pass.

Have Fun, Edward

At 04:35 PM 10/7/2010, David Wilhite wrote: >All, > > > >My family will be traveling in our Westy to >visit relatives in northern VA and will be >traveling along I81 from TN and was wondering >if anyone would have a recommendation for an >overnight camp spot along I81. Ideally, it >would be between Kingsport, TN and Roanoke, VA >which is around our halfway point. Someplace >inexpensive where we can pull in, pop the top >and get some sleep. Not looking to do a full >camp out, since we don't have the space for all >the stuff to carry (there are 5 of us), but >might consider someplace that has some nice >stuff to see during the morning hours. > > > >Thanks, > >David Wilhite > >84' Westy Middle TN