Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Oct 2010 22:23:51 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Summary on inline gas motor upgrade project..Long post

I think I finished up swapping my older 1.8liter VW Golf/Jetta motor for a newer more powerful 2.0 liter Jetta motor. I posted some other reports and referenced some Picassa pics as this project has progressed. I won't go over the whole project, but here are the essentials again, and how it seems to be working out.

I spent about $900 total. $250 of that was clutch-related, an expense that I would have incurred soon had I kept the 92 Jetta Golf 1.8 liter block anyway. So about $650 total, including the used Jetta motor I found for $300 with 89k miles on it and all the accessory parts included. Hopefully, I will get much the $300 back selling all those pumps, brackets, alternators, etc I actually wasted some $ buying a "kit" to eliminate all these extra belts...

I found Techtonics Tuning, a well known Oregon VW sport tuning shop, who sells parts to do just the swap I did....I spent about $200 with them for bolts, gaskets and some specialty parts to adapt the "new" 2.0 liter block to my 1.8liter head and all it's components.

Swapping my 1.8 liter head onto the "new" block was desirable because the 2.0 liter head will not fit under an un-altered Vanagon decklid Techtonics Tuning were helpful with advice. Their parts I used (a bushing to allow my old distributor to swap into the new block, a plate to block off the crankcase breather) fit right.

This wasn't a complex swap. My 'old' motor was still running fine, but it came to me with unknown mileage and I put about 50k miles on it myself, so when a $300 complete relativly low mile-motor came along, I decided.."Why not? If it doesn't work, I can always put everything back just like it was" I snapped pics all through the process to record where all the hoses and belts and wires went, just in case.

I "re-surfaced" the head on my workbench. Emery cloth and elbow grease. I used a tri-metal headgasket and followed my old racecar engine builder's way of torquing the head...do it up half way and let it sit for 12 hrs. then do it up half way again..let it sit...then the final torque...It works fine.

Pulling the motor was pretty easy. Putting it back was...tedious, working alone with 3 jacks...but it went. Too bad I forgot the pilot bearing and had to pull the transmission to fix that mistake. Being a rookie when it comes to Vanagon motors...I was looking for a big ole bearing..."Pilot bearing...transmission...gotta be substantial, right?" Little did I know it was tiny and hiding inside the old crankshaft in my old block, so I just assumed that maybe my particular weird Franken-VW didn't use a pilot bearing..So anyway, that caused the output shaft seal on the tranny to leak and oil up the clutch...Hadda get another seal and replace the clutch, which was not really holding my 'newfound' power anyway.

I got the wrong clutch the first time out..Probably my fault. So I had to re-order, but in the mean time, I simply cleaned up my old one and re-installed that, to make sure my oil seal repair worked and because I wanted the practice of putting transmissions in Vanagons...(not really) Drove around for a few days "like I had an egg under the gas pedal" to keep the clutch from spinning.

During the process, I found my front trans mount was shot, so that came new and all my CV bolts are pretty bad, they are 'in the mail"

It all works marvelously! Plenty of power, no pinging on mid grade fuel, smooth running. I timed it 'by ear' so far. I will work the timing back until I hear some pinging then go just a bit back and that should work. I can now accelerate up a long grade in my 5th gear where I used to have to sometimes shift back to fourth gear with the smaller motor...So the power is more, by a significant amount...

I am no pro mechanic. I have done lots of suspension and stuff like that but I know very little about timing, EFI, electrons and motors. I can read a torque wrench and follow the Bently and I am pretty handy with a wrench, but short on real knowledge and experience with engines.....This project was pretty much unbolt and rebolt though, after reading a bit on the VW Vortex site and consulting with some on the list who have similar engines in their vans...It was certainly worthwhile...and I did learn a lot...

Not so hard as messing with one of the many Subaru/Vanagon possible combos..I would guess..Certainly a lot cheaper way to get a strong running Vanagon...

Don Hanson