Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Oct 2010 09:35:12 -0500
From:         Peter Lapp <carrothospital@GOOGLEMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Going to the Smokies. Advice?

Well, I just got back from camping, and boy was it interesting. No trip would be complete without having to work on the van on the side of the road! We spent the first night in the Cherokee and then the next night in the Nantahala, by Standing Indian Mountain. We didn't have much choice on where to stay the first night, since we hit 3 hrs of dead traffic and didn't get into the area until almost 11pm.

The van had trouble starting Saturday morning, and after pulling off onto one of the overlook spots, it died when idling. I spent the next hour troubleshooting the issue and it finally turned out to be the ignition coil. Thank God I had pulled one from a 91' in the Pull-A-Part and had it with me. I replaced that and she purred like a kitten. I did, however, break the ball link chain that connects the accelerator cable to the throttle when I was working on the other stuff. There was one extra ball on there, so I was able to fix it, but I guess I'll have to find out where to get another one of those.

All in all it was a good trip! Nothing better than being out in the woods, drinking whiskey, and swimming under waterfalls.