Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Oct 2010 22:46:40 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: VW OBD Handheld Code Reader Questions (Jetta conversion)
Comments: To: neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

Is your ABA engine OBD-I or II ? Do you have an OBD diagnostic port ?

the OBD-I systems I am familiar with generally use counting flashes of the Check Engine light to get out basic OBD- I one codes. OBD -II systems with an OBD one diagnostic port ...10 pins or so , 5 of them or so actually apply ... when connected to an OBD-II code reader or software through your pc .. gets you much more detailed OBD-II codes. The Haynes manual on OBD-II is quite good reading, btw.

the OBD-II code reader I have now doesn't even have a way to interact with OBD-I that I know of. I find codes useful .. but I use traditional diagnostic methods much more. They're a clue is how I see them. Temp sensors are so inexpensive that if one is suspected .. it's not big deal to try a new one. I don't quite regard them as a weak link ..but I do find myself replacing them now and then.

intermittent anything just tells me that circuit might be weak or wonky.

Thanks for mentioning RossTech freeware ,. perhaps I'll get me some.

the pic looks like an OBD-II connector to me, the big part.

I always start with the symtoms ......then start checking things. Most of the time I can find about 3 or 4 or more, half-not right things on most engines that don't behave well that I see.

OBD-I isn't very sophisticated. -II is way more clever. OBD-I did lead me right to an open starter signal to ecu connection problem once though.

scott turbovans

----- Original Message ----- From: "neil n" <musomuso@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 9:59 PM Subject: VW OBD Handheld Code Reader Questions (Jetta conversion)