Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Oct 2010 09:37:29 -0500
From:         Peter Lapp <carrothospital@GOOGLEMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Thermostat housing
Comments: To: Jim Felder <jim.felder@gmail.com>

Danny Beaaannn! Good to see you on the list. Like everyone else has mentioned, watch out for those screws. On my 87 I didn't have a problem though, so maybe yours will be the same.

Replacing mine was fairly straightforward. Unclamp the hoses, take out the sensors, unbolt. Make sure you have a good tool to get the spring clamps off. Vise grips work good for that. Also make sure that you grab those O-rings from the two sensors before they fall on the ground and get lost.

One thing I did have to do on mine was put some rtv on the o-ring for the thermostat. After putting it back together, it was leaking from the crack where they top piece connects to the main piece. You may not have to do that on yours, but watch out for it.

I also have a close to new thermostat if you think yours needs replacing while you have the whole housing out. Let me know if you need any help and I can always come by and give you a hand.

Oh, and don't forget to bleed the air out of the system after you replace it. That's important and you'll need two people for that.

-p