Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Oct 2010 08:48:24 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: [Syncro] Stainless Coolant Pipes Endanger Engines
Comments: To: Syncro@yahoogroups.com
Comments: cc: subaruvanagon@yahoogroups.com

Galvanic Corrosion is very real.

It may be one cause of why WBX motors have such head gasket problems..Just guessing on that..

But Galvanic Corrosion can be remarkably destructive in a very short time period, especially if some unforeseen circumstances occur to promote accelerated electrolysis between dissimilar metals in a system. I worked for a time in the boatyards, where we dealt with the results of galvanic corrosion on a daily basis...seawater being a very good conductor. Boats would sometimes sink because the metal fittings through the hull corroded away and let the ocean in.

We had one repair job where a very expensive sailboat sunk in it's slip at the marina. We'd maintained this boat as a regular customer, recently hauling it out and replacing all the sacrificial anodes ("Zincs") checking the rigging and doing a bottom job as well as our normal inspection for saftey. About a week later, the yachtowner calls in a panic! "My boat sunk!"...so we took our service launch to his marina and found that his bronze thru-hull fittings had all turned to chalky green swiss cheese, when just the week before, we'd gone over every one, checking them and found them all to be in perfect shape. Well, further detective work turned up the cause..The boat in the next slip...It's owner's shore power cord had slipped overboard. The Marina's electrical system, for some reason, didn't blow a breaker. So this fellow's boat's zinc's went first, shortly followed by the bronze of the through-hull fittings and his Stainless rudder gudgeons and the propeller, and the prop shaft, those were also trashed...not to mention the whole boat's damage from immersion. Stainless steel screws or fittings that contact an aluminum mast, those are also very prone to corrosion..but less so because they aren't immersed in a conductive medium full time. I would think, if some wire got loose in the engine/cooling system of a van with SS pipes..that kind of enhanced electrolysis *could* happen to some degree. Not saying SS coolant pipes are a No No...but galvanic corrosion IS a real issue where dissimilar metals might be connected by a conductive medium (your coolant) and there is electricity around..

Modern yachts normally use non-metal through-hull fittings now and stainless screws into aluminum masts, most good yacht workers coat the screws in some kind of isolating compound so they don't "weld themselves" together.

Reading some of the newer posts...Adding another metal to the mix already in the VW...who knows? VW now uses SS? They may not be planning on their current vehicles being around for 30yrs...There probably won't be any gasoline left to run them then, anyhow.

Don Hanson