Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Oct 2010 09:24:51 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: dumb tire question..Studless snows..
Comments: To: mcneely4@cox.net

The 200mph figure is in reference to these kinds of Open Highway events.

http://www.sscc.us/ http://www.openroadracing.com/

In these events, tire tech is very important and quite well-monitored. It's still risky, running on a regular highway at 200mph...After a couple of years doing these events, with my SO as my navigator quite often, I converted my street vehicle to a full time track only racecar. During our time running these events, I did see 200mph a few times on my GPS and we have a radar certificate of 187mph from one Gamblers Run (at ~7000ft elevation) near Elko, Nv. I quit these events after a couple of close friends and competitors were involved in very high speed crashes...probably tire related. I certainly wasn't just popping in to the nearest Tire Factory and dropping off my race wheels and saying "Here, dude, mount up these tires and I'll be back in 20 mins" I had one particular guy I used and I stood right there...and brought him cases of his favorite adult bevy to get his best efforts, every time.

But at any racetrack during a race weekend there will be a couple of tire services there, selling tires and doing all the needed work for hundreds of racers. We don't all come to the tracks with multiple semis full of workers and tools. I found it more convenient to do my own tire work than to have to 'cue up' at the trackside tire services...and I always got the right tires on the right wheels with the right side in or out..without leaks and balanced properly...when I did the work myself.

What does this have to do with Vanagon tires? Nothing, really...Just agreeing with Scott...tire shops can do some shoddy work...I don't much trust em unless I stand right there and double check what they do.

Don Hanson