Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Oct 2010 16:16:07 -0700
Subject:      Re: Instrument Pod Re-wire
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>

I did that for my TriStar - as I have no conventional tachometer / water temp / fuel gauge in there anymore.   Just used 18ga wire and the plug with the plastic ribbon from the original speedometer as not to cut the original vangon wires.  Careful soldering and away I went.

David Marshall VW Adventure Driver and BMW Adventure Rider HasenWerk http://www.hasenwerk.ca

On Fri, October 8, 2010 13:56, John Rodgers wrote: > I was wondering if anyone has ever re-wired an instrument panel or pod > and eliminated the wiring ribbon. That ribbon has got to be getting > brittle with age, and sooner or later is going to give trouble. In > anticipation of that time for my vans - the youngest of which is my 1991 > Carat and the oldest of which is my pair of 1988 GL's - 19 and 22 years > of age respectively - when the ribbon connector will have to be replaced > - with prol'ly an NLA part. That is going to be a chalenge, and I wonder > if anyone has already done it successfully. > > Thanks > > John > > -- > John Rodgers > Clayartist and Moldmaker > 88'GL VW Bus Driver > Chelsea, AL > Http://www.moldhaus.com >