Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2010, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 Oct 2010 20:47:06 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: It continues - Engine RPM Hunting 200-500 rpm
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

Scott, thanks. Good tips, all. I'm going to work on them tomorrow.

John

John Rodgers Clayartist and Moldmaker 88'GL VW Bus Driver Chelsea, AL Http://www.moldhaus.com

On 10/9/2010 8:33 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans wrote: > one other thing ... > I always feel better with a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel system .. > while I'm sorting through weirdness, or at least for a while if other > common things are not being found out of whack. > ----- Original Message ----- From: "John Rodgers" <inua@CHARTER.NET> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Saturday, October 09, 2010 3:56 PM > Subject: It continues - Engine RPM Hunting 200-500 rpm > > >> I have been tinkering with my 91 Carat and have still not resolved the >> hunting issue. >> >> On cold start-up I have to play with the pedal to keep it running - up >> and down between 1000 and 2000 rpm. As it warms up, it begins to settle >> down. Not as much footwork to keep it running. Eventually it will idle >> smoothly around 1000 rpm. But if I try and accelerate the engine above >> the 1000 rpm range - it goes into the hunt mode again. Around 2000 rpm >> it will run relatively smoothly. >> >> The injectors have been serviced and run in another of my vans, so I >> know they are good. All the hoses are good, and I carefully inspected >> the vacuum lines just to be sure. The crankcase vent host is new. >> >> I disconnected the idle stabilizer valve after warm up, and restarted. >> It was a little rough to start, but after start-up it smoothed out at >> 1000 rpm like before, and still would not run properly between 1000 and >> 2000 rpm. >> >> I have not disconnected the O2 Sensor yet. O2 sensors have caused rough >> running on my other vans, and smoothed out when disconnected, but this >> is a little different. >> >> So apparently, this takes me to the throttle switch - I think. But this >> engine has only 114,000 miles and is clean, so I'm suspicious about >> whether it's the switch or not. Never tampered with the switch before, >> so a little unsettled about working on that. >> >> Any input on this would be appreciated. >> >> Thanks, >> >> John >> >> -- >> John Rodgers >> Clayartist and Moldmaker >> 88'GL VW Bus Driver >> Chelsea, AL >> Http://www.moldhaus.com > > >