Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Oct 2010 19:19:38 -0700
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Stainless Pipes Determination and Deionized Water Query
Comments: To: craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM>

This topic is drifting off to sea... where big boats like cruiseships, subs, aircraft carriers, and such distill seawater for drinking purposes.

Once heard of a Doublecab with a Wasserboxer doing double duty on a US carrier. I'll bet it used distiller water since that was what they had on tap on the boat.;-)

BenT

On Oct 16, 2010, at 6:24 PM, craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM> wrote:

> It was a liter, we took it from the DI jug in a chem lab. > It did not end well..... > The doctor said that is what did it. > > Supposedly if you put a goldfish in DI water, it gets very thin very fast as > the water strips it's body of minerals. > I'm not that cruel.... > I'll stick to roommates. > > -Craig > > > On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 9:21 PM, David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net> wrote: > >> At 08:00 PM 10/16/2010 -0400, craig cowan wrote: >> >>> I was under the impression (though mind you I am not much of a chemist) >>> that >>> DI water was actually quite reactive in some situations (Especially >>> organic). >>> >> >> Deionized water is what you use when you don't want to pay extra for >> distilled and can live with the various stuff that deionizing does not >> remove. This seems to be a pretty good overview of purified water of >> various ilken. >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purified_water >> >> >> I know if you drink a cup of DI water, you will become severely >>> sick as it actively tries to fill it'sself back up with minerals and >>> nutrients, which it will rob from your body. (Experimentation has proven

>>> this. I'm very cruel sometimes to roommates....). >>> >> >> I suspect that the water you used must have been bacterially contaminated. >> DI water (or distilled) may not be the best thing to drink over the long >> term, but a cup (or a gallon) shouldn't do you any harm at all. I've known >> a few people on a certain fringe who've drunk nothing but distilled water

>> (from their own still) for years with no apparent ill effect. >> >> >> Anyway, I was under the impression that similar reactivity would occur on

>>> metals. It may not be a conductor, but it is actively trying to dissolve

>>> things. Much more so than a solvent that is already at capacity (IE Tap >>> water full of random crap). >>> >> >> In a cooling system purified water inhibits scale formation. The >> antifreeze mix suppresses corrosion. >> >> Yours, >> David >> >> >>