Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Oct 2010 20:00:25 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Speaking of heat and rubber.. CV boots?
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

If I was going to run exhaust pipes under CV joints I'd sure have a heat shield there. I would think an exhaust pipe 2 or 3 feet from the exhaust manifold under hard running could get to 400 degrees F easily .. so if only say 2 inches from a CV joint ... not so good... it would shorten the life of the rubber boot, and make the CV joint run hotter too. I suspect inner CV joints might wear a little bit more than outer ones due to running hotter , being by the trans.

I don't see an obvious elegant solution, unless they spend some time making a very custom fitted tucked- in nicely system. I think I would almost make an exh. system that would come off the left side, go aft, then across the rear of the engine ( like above , below, or alongside a slender muffler ) then do a u-turn and come back through the muffler with tailpipe on the left side . The basic idea of crossing from one side of the engine/trans to the other .. unless you have lots of ground clearance ....doesn't seem that 'natural' to me.

scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Hanson" <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 6:49 PM Subject: Speaking of heat and rubber.. CV boots?