Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Oct 2010 23:34:10 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Front wheel bearing differences
Comments: To: Ed Duntz <eduntz@HOTMAIL.COM>

It's because the early outer front wheel bearings are prone to wear out a bit. The inners are the same .. the outer wheel bearing is different mid 83 and on.

I've seen the front outer wheel bearings on early vans be worn out a few times, and almost never any later style ones.. even with no service for a hundred thousand miles ....apparently anyway. just amazing how well they last.

oddly ..the spindle is larger, so the bearing is 'smaller', or thinner, comparing ID to OD . they must have it figured out that smaller diameter rollers last better. Perhaps it's more smaller diameter rollers , so more bearing surface area perhaps. I never have counted the difference in #'s of rollers between the two types.

if you know which one you have .. like if it's the early ...just say it's an 81, and you won't be near their VIN split. or if you know it's the late ..just say it's an 85 ..so you wont' be near their VIN split.

I think I've seen an 84 with the early type . I'm quite sure I took a front disc/hub off an 84 of mine to use on an 85, and I had to swap outer bearings and races for it to fit.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ed Duntz" <eduntz@HOTMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 7:55 PM Subject: Front wheel bearing differences

There seems to be only one brake disc for all '80 to '85 model years, but more than one wheel bearing style (up to some time in '83, and then from mid '83 on.) I'm wondering why the same disc could house two different wheel bearings.

I also noticed that the Bus Depot seems to list different chassis numbers that correspond with the mid-year change of wheel bearings- they list the same month and year, but different chassis numbers. It would seem that if you're ordering early front wheel bearings from them, you might want to cross reference with another vendor to see whether to order early or late.

Ed in CT