Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Oct 2010 13:02:44 -0700
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 16" syncro - stripping and resto
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@shaw.ca>

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 12:40 PM, Alistair Bell <albell@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Neil, > if I am not mistaken, you are noting the absence of the welded seat plate > that is installed in westies. Pass. vans don't have them and the space under > the seat is very much more accessible. >

Possibly. Was looking at what seem to be pop rivets holding battery lid hinge in place (aft position)

IIRC, it was Mark Drillock who commented to me that one might remove the extra metal around the PS battery box and install a hinged lid or other as per the DS making starter battery R&R less of a hassle.

pic of "extra metal" for those not knowing: *http://tinyurl.com/29wmmzw*

> the pic of the front susp. assemb. has been noted on the german forum... > like us there are sharp critics there :) - the spot welded plate below the > horiz. seam may harbour/hide rust. > > picky picky eh? > > alistair > > > ps I think it was dipped as well as blasted, but not too sure. > > >

Picky? Absolutely! Thats a sunroof model Syncro! I mean it's not a Syncro Westy but still cool. ;)

The dipped aspect makes sense. Sure looks uber clean.

Neil.

> > On 15-Oct-10, at 11:57 AM, neil n wrote: > > Pause and questions! > > Here: > > http://syncro-werkstatt.de/MRB-syncro013.jpg > > the PS battery box lid looks the same as DS. (no fetid lip in the way > hampering battery R&R) Do all Syncros have this or was this standard on all > Vanagons after a certain MY? > > Any guesses if paint was removed only via sand blasting, or were chemicals > used too? > > Looks very spic and span: > http://syncro-werkstatt.de/Entlackung%20vorne.jpg > > I'll never be set up to do something like that, but sure would be fun with > the right gear/space etc. > > Thanks for posting the links Alistair! > > Neil. > >

-- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines