Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2010, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Oct 2010 13:54:54 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: source for stainless steel fuel clamps
Comments: To: colorworks@GCI.NET

Troy,

while your under there freezing your fingers, have a look at the condition of the fuel pump where it contacts the bracket. The pump body is aluminium and the bracket painted steel. I've seen vans where the bracket has rusted or paint has come off, and the bare steel contacts the pump housing and causes, yes you know this was coming, dissimilar metal corrosion... white powdery crustiness on pump. I recall one listmember writing about pump body being eaten through by this.

If this is beginning to happen, and you can't paint due to time and temp, then at least slide a thin bit of plastic (milk jug) between pump body and bracket.

alistair

ps about clamps, do you (don't laugh) have a mercedes dealership/shop "nearby"? can get clamps from them.