Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Oct 2010 09:11:11 -0400
From:         "Jack R." <jack007@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Good collaboration with a mechanic?

Mark,

I've only worked with Mechanic's who agree to this approach. There are a lot of good mechanics who are willing, but finding them can be the trick. I suggest you start with a foreign auto parts store, asking the guys behind the counter if they know of any mechanics who fit your specifications.

Then, set up an "interview" process, and "hire" the mechanic based on your gut feeling. Start with a smaller task, asking what he or she charges per hour to supervise you while you do a brake job on your van. (limited quantities of beer supplied while you do the work). Good way to check their personality. While you do the interview, check out their garage, ask if you can borrow their tools... do they have air tools?

You have a good plan... and frankly, I've learn a ton with this type of relationship. And I've also saved a ton! I did the same thing when I restored my 84 Westy with the auto body guy, and now he and his wife are joining me and my wife on a cruise vacation next month. I typically pay in cash, between $40 and $50 per hour, and pay for all parts. They have no outlay of funds, and appreciate cash. If they do the bulk of the work, and I help (and what mechanic doesn't appreciate a helper), I tend to pay more on the high side of $50 per hour. FOREGET ABOUT BOOK TIME, BY THE WAY!

I've continue to give these guys referral business, which they also appreciate!

This has worked great for me, as I'm pretty mechanical. Most mechanical people get intimidated by the task, as the lack of experience in freeing a stubborn bolt, or knowing the proper procedures to circumvent a complex task can lead one to take their van to a local garage for the work to be done by who knows!

My 2 cents!

Jack R. 84 Westy Wolfie (owned and wrenched on since 1987) N. of Detroit