Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Oct 2010 13:05:14 -0700
From:         Jeff Schwaia <vw.doka@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Good collaboration with a mechanic?

My Father used to have a sign on the wall of his shop back in the '80s:

Labor Rate ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ $ 50/hr $ 75/hr - If you watch $100/hr - If you help

Cheers,

Jeff

hey .. if anyone wants to come to my shop... and PAY ME $ 50 an hour cash .. come right on over !!! I would be really rich doing those kinds of deals. Let's see. .. a guy arrives at 11 AM ..he works on his brakes until 2 PM and hands me $ 150 and leaves.

in that time span ...there is barely time to remove wheels and drums and pads and inspect things, and figure out the plan of attack .. or let's say he or she arrives with brake shoes, wheel cylinders, brake drums and all that .. and I have compressed air and air tools. The clock will easily go from 11AM unto 2Pm before you know it .. about the time needed to get the rear brakes apart, all the old stuff off, things cleaned up .. new parts on ( with perfect workmanship and no mistakes or wondering what fits where of course ) .. new parts on and adjusted, then bleed rear brakes, then wheels back on , then test drive .. SURE ....that is barely possible ..unless it's slam-dunk work .. and you hand me 150 cash at 2:05 PM ... YES, come on over ! hey..I can squease 3 of those into one day .. 450 cash ....sounds mighty juicy to me !

Here's what I am getting at .. to do it really right takes a lot longer than you'd think. How long does a clutch job take ... say 6 hours if everything goes really well... 300 cash to me .. sure ...let's go for it.

it depends a LOT on someone's apptitute and abilities. If they don't mind I let them do all their silly mistakes, .. and they pay 50 cash an hour for that ....let's do it !

I do have people work with me on their vans in my shop from time to tome. Once in a while there's a guy or person with whom it's a DELITGHT to work.. they're eager, have great apptitude, and are just fun to work with. and I don't even charge them anywhere near 50 cash an hour.

on the other hand ..there are people who want to 'help' ...with zero apptitude nearly .. and I am TRAPPED in that case, all my energy has to go into making sure they do it right. I can't say.....take a phone call for 20 minutes. I can't do anything . except make sure they do it right. Now those people should pay 75 and hour for trainning and education about how to work on their vanagon. With those people....as far as getting the job done right in a timely manner .. it would help exponentially if they would go somewhere else.

as far as 'mechanics like help' .. well I suppose it depends on ones standards. I can't even get other professionals to do things right unless I monitor them very carefully ...like say tires stores.

So if I'm going to put coper-based anti-seize compound on every tiny part that needs it, or spray lube the parking brake cable adjuster that is usually badly stuck or rusted anyway .. and on and on ... a hundred details like that... it takes a while to do it *really* right and carefully.

and to get SOMEONE else to do that ... that can be darn tricky. But perhaps people just want it thrown together so it sort of works , and they're happy. I mean is the goal new brake shoes with lots of material on them, or is the goal the brakes on that of the van are really carefully restored to being working really well. ?

but please.. do stop by ready to pay 50 cash an hour to work on your vanagon in my shop . for any job just about ..perhaps not rebuild an auto trans .. but head gaskets...say .. sure, and I will make more having you pay me 50 an hour than I would doing the job myself.

you know .. I guess the world thinks working on cars is just slapping in the parts. Based on the poor workmanship I see on many, many cars and vanagons .. that must be the normal world's standard. I dont't know about you guys... but things like tires changed really really fast, so a chunk of rubber gets ripped off the tire and stuck between rim and tire and then it leaks.. or the tires pressures don't match ...like 4 different pressrues on one set of four tires .. or mixed types of lug nuts and the customer wasn't even informed...

or ..get this ..a 14,000 fancy engine covnersion job and the shop didn't even tell the customer and entire fuel support strap was rusted away and gone on his high end syncro .. ..IF that is The Standard of workmanship.. then sure.. people can go into shops, do fast semi-sloppy work ..and everyone is happy.

here's another reason it takes a LOT LONGER to fix things really right. Seldom is 'the worn out thing' the whole story. take say ...replacing a starter .. hey, 30 minutes right ? oh, there's the bushing in the bell housing. Well , we should really do that. and since we're working on a starter issue, we should at least visually inspect the battery ..oh, look at that, no one has been in this battery compartment for years.. oh ...look,..the bottom of the battery box is getting eaten away with battery acid ..we really should take that out and clean and treat and paint that rust, and clean up those corroded battery terminals... and hey ...it only takes another minute to check chanrging voltage... and ...that belt squeal..ok...now we have to adjust alternator belt tension. and since it's only one more tiny step to take the belt of the alt pulley to spin the althernator to check the bearings, we gotta do that .. and ...oh right, we need to check the alternator mounting bracket bolts since that's a known weakness on waterboxer engines .. and oh look, someone in a hurry used the wrong washer there, and it's all mushroomed out .

my point is, on these 20 and 25 year old wonderful vans .. seldom is 'the thing' the whole story .. not for doing really through good work. And I know darn well really throough good work is not always being done due to what I see on vans. Could anyone here pull out one type of subaru engine to install another and leave the Ignitor from the old engine just sitting there on the firewall ? ...that's a part that could cost $ 150 new at least, is worth say 40 or 50 used ....and great to have for a spare.. but the tech just leaves the old part hanging there doing nothing ?? oh I get it .. they are thinking maybe this subaruvanagon owner will come accross another on the side of the road and they just happen to need that particular unused Ignitor on that van.

that's what the standard is usually .... the most result with the least effort. that means all kinds of sloppy work. my main point in all this is .. doing it *really* well and carefully takes time. And apprantely the common standard is not very high. you know.. can you do a rear brake job and not at least check that both parking brake cables are moving smoothly :? Many people...professions included, do not even think to check that both cables move at least half smoothly ... the feel from the handle is the same ..it feels like you putting on the parking brake.. but if a cable is frozen ....you're only feeling the strething of the cable. The brake shoes are not moving. Checking on details like that ..takes time. heck ...I can't do rear brakes without lubricating the parking brake handle pivot points and ratchet .. and I promise you ....not even 5 out of 50 or 100 shops will bother with that detail. In their mind ...it's get the rear brake parts on .. it is NOT ..make sure *everything* about the rear brake system is righ, and serviced . If find hundreds of moving metal parts and mechanisms that have never been serviced or lubed on vangons since the factory .. so it takes time it can take LOTS of time to really, really do any job on thise fine old vans thorughly.. but please.. stop by and let's get to work ! 50 cash and hour will be just fine. lol. if you want to see bad work ....look at most body and paint shops work .. it's usualy terrible. ..in the details, like painted wires and exhaust pipes, or whatever. typiccal case.. a member in oregon ..a westy, got hit while it was parked. the other guy's insurance forked over the bucks. the guy gets the van back ......side marker light ins't working. he takes that apart ...wasn't even wired then he finds out the plastic clips that the screws go into , that plug into the body ...were gone. now his van orignally had those parts. the qtr panel the shop got probably had those plastic thingies... they're probably under a work bench or in the trash at that body shop . I sold him off a parts van. that is typical for body and paint shops. they only make it LOOK right .. seldom to they actually make it BE right. though I trust the poster on the trip with the boy shop guy got good work done.

and sure ..50 an hour you work on your van in my shop , let's get started. and you'll see to do it really carefully and actually right, takes longer than you'd think. scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jack R." <jack007@COMCAST.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2010 6:11 AM Subject: Re: Good collaboration with a mechanic?