Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 23 Oct 2010 15:42:06 -0400
From:         craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Starter Gone?
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

Michael, upon rereading your post and scott pointing out that you have an automatic, it does sound like it's possible that you have an issue with the neutral safety switch. An easy test that you should perform regardless is this....

Take a volt meter, and some spare wire which I assume everyone just has lying around (right?). Perhaps even throw some terminals on the wire if needed (ALLIGATOR CLIPS!?). Attach it to the positive of the starter and the other too ground. Use these to extend the useable range of the voltmeter so that the voltmeter is visible outside the car (so you're not under the car). Now have someone crank it over (or if your extension cables are really long, and your voltmeter is in the car near the driver, do it yourself). Are you getting volts? If you're not getting at least 10 volts or so at the starter when you're turning the key, it's not a starter issue at all (or at least not entirely a starter issue). It could be ignition switch, it could be the neutral safety switch, etc. If you are getting volts, this can help to determine the quality of the volts getting to the starter. If you measure 10 volts at the starter while cranking and 11volts at the battery while cranking, you have a problem in your circuit (either coroded Battery Cable, bad ground on the battery, or bad ground at the starter). Expect "some" loss over the course of 12 feet of wiring, but a 1 volt or so loss (i've seen a 2 volt loss before on bad wiring and grounds!) is huge.

This can at least be a start to testing.

Taking the starter out is easy. It is however, one of those jobs that will likely take you a whole lot longer than you estimate; especially if you haven't done it before. I've done it plenty of times, and it can still easily take me an hour or even two. There's just something about limited throw on a hex wrench, terrible angles for your arms, poor lighting, and corrosion/rust to really slow you down. I'm sure I could do it in 15 minutes if I tried..... but it always just seems to inspire me to work slowly.

Try it on a syncro sometime..... that's just not fun.

-Craig