Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2010, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Oct 2010 16:46:13 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Newbie and inop electric windows
Comments: To: A PETER MARSH <apetermarsh@MAC.COM>

At 05:07 PM 10/23/2010 -0400, A PETER MARSH wrote: >just how I remove the door panel and get to the electric motor as my >VW Tech is real busy on other projects at this time.

From memory...

Rubberish cover of window handle -- oops, you don't have that. But if you did, the fixing screw is under that cover -- no Japanese-style spring clip.

Plastic cup outboard of door handle unclips, then there's a screw underneath with special cupped lock washer.

Two screws (P2 and P3) at each end of grab handle.

Two or so screws holding on the vestigial vent cover at bottom aft corner of door.

Then an easy pop-clip every few inches around the perimeter and one or two in the middle. Tools not needed.

If it's a wire problem at the door hinge -- the two ends of the rubber tube have molded grooves that engage their respective holes. At least one of them (the door one) is an absolute bear to get back in. Rubber lube might help, dunno. I believe I finally achieved it by binding the end tightly with tape or something, then removing it from inside the door. It's too late for me now, but having put the thing back together I wish I'd run three or four extra wires through it against later need. Or at least a fishing string.

I suspect you could use a twelve year old, to help cuss and also retrieve you from whatever posture you get locked in at the worst moment.

Yours, David