Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Nov 2010 13:25:34 -0700
From:         Matt Thyer <matt_thyer@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Good collaboration with a mechanic?

Here's an untapped revenue stream in most auto shops. Most of my mechanical experience comes from years of working on bicycles. Previous to Zeno I worked on my cars for common and/or easy maintenance tasks, but if there was anything that appeared too complex for me to take on I immediately differed to professionals. Working on bicycles I've always tried to do the work myself, only seeking assistance or guidance when I ran into problems where the 'secret' of getting it done just wasn't obvious or in a book or online. And before you poo-poo the comparison let me ask, ever tried to dish a wheel or set correct chain length on a LWB recumbent? Yes, they are complex systems that in my experience have a similar learning curve.

Inside the bicycle community there are islands of mechanical help. Some of it is like what we get and give here on the list, but in some locations people are taking it a step further. There are bicycle cooperatives that make the majority of their revenue via rentable shop space and consultation services. It's a very cool idea on several counts, here's why. The mechanic no longer has to work so hard to hide information that is freely available. We're crossing into the land of reputation economics, but this equation is pretty simple. It's much easier to build trust with someone who freely/readily shares the secrets of his or her trade than someone who does not. The market for end-to-end, black box mechanical work will still exist because there will always be that need for specialization (not every hobby mechanic has the time or background to become a pro), but as a 'consumer' of said service I will choose someone who tells me the details of what's going on with my vehicle well before I'd choose the black box approach because of the level of trust this engenders between us. Bicycle mechanical coops have monetized this advantageous relationship and as a result both consumer and professional have an opportunity not only to work on the machine, but our relationship as well.

2 cents,

MT http://zenoswagen.wordpress.com/