Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Nov 2010 15:51:38 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: [Syncro] Re: Battery to starter cable
Comments: To: insyncro@YAHOO.COM

re I was cursing VW engineers when I was trying to reattach wire (I had in my tool kit an inline spade fuse holder that had right angle female connections on either end which I managed to get on the solenoid, and a male-male at other end got me connected to the stock wire). and the other guy struggling with a syncro starter issue or wiring issue...........

you guys don't try to work on the starter with the engine fully bolted up in place do you ?

all you do is loosen the two bolts on the left end of the 'mustache bar' ... then put a jack under the engine, and remove the two bolts on the right end of that rear engine cross bar.

then you lower the jack.. and the starter is not jammed up in there against the fuel tank. I wouldn't even think of trying to work on the starter wires without lowering down some. ..unless it was a side-of-the-road emergency .. and even then I might lower the engine/trans down some on the right side. all you need is a bottle jack really.

in general.. it is always worth it to get the right tool, always worth it to move other things out of the way ( in aircraft work that's called 'FOM'..faciiate other maintaince ) and always worth it to get good access to what you are working on so you can do a good job.

and ..the more you take things apart and put them back, the more you know they are horribly rusted in place or whatever etc. It's 'good' for syncro's and vanagons to work on them.

'not working on them' ...and 'not taking things apart now and then' is bad for them.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dylan Friedman" <insyncro@YAHOO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 7:37 AM Subject: Re: [Syncro] Re: Battery to starter cable