Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Nov 2010 09:15:11 -0500
From:         Peter Lapp <carrothospital@GOOGLEMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Auto Transmission advice

Thanks for that advice. It seems like you're almost in the same boat as me in some cases. I've been getting help from our local group for a few things, but I don't think anyone is too excited about working on a transmission. I do have two problems with taking it to someone though. One is that it will mean having to rent a car to get to work, which costs more. Two is that I don't entirely trust the only shop in town that works on these things. He always seems to fix one thing and break another, along with the fact that I got my van back dented last time I brought it to him. The only other decent mechanic is about an hr away, but then I'm also left with finding someone to drive with me and back, and then a rental.

All that to say, I was hoping to do it myself so that I could get it done in a weekend (hopefully), and save some bucks. I'm not too keen on doing it, but it wouldn't be the first time.