Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Nov 2010 12:40:57 -0400
From:         "Jack R." <jack007@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Some potentially stupid questions
Comments: To: Harry Hoffman <hhoffman@IP-SOLUTIONS.NET>

Harry,

Antenna: Make sure your antenna is properly installed, and grounded where required... for best reception. New antennas are not that expensive, I went with the stainless one with GREAT results! http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=2212&category_id=214&category_parent_id= I tested this against the cheep one on a head to head, same radio, our friend Vanagon had the cheap antenna installed and we had this one in the link installed. We are right next to each other, and I was able to easily pull in a number of stations that they could not.

Anti-Freeze:

Our local city/water department said it is fine to pour used anti-freeze down the drain to the sanitary sewer system. Also, see other water departments approve of this... Best to check with your local city to see if they approve. http://www.cityofames.org/worksweb/operations/StormSewers/StormSewerInformation.htm Safe Disposal for Large Amounts of Anti-freeze The anti-freeze from a single radiator can be safely disposed of in a sanitary sewer and treated by the City's wastewater treatment plant. However, large quantities from commercial or fleet maintenance programs will upset the plant's biological system and are prohibited.

Any anti-freeze discharge directly into a river or stream can cause environmental damage to fish and other aquatic life, and is not allowed. Dry weather compounds the problems from these illegal discharges.

When there is very little water in area streams, there is virtually no dilution occurring. During dry conditions, wildlife are drawn to any available water they can find. Also, the lower water levels make improper discharges much easier to spot.

NOTE: DO NOT DISPOSE IN STORM SEWER OR IF YOU HAVE A SEPTIC SYSTEM!!!

Jack R. 84 Westy Wolfie

Hi All,

So, I'm continuing on with the new vanagon, fixing this and that and waiting for my bently book to arrive.

I've got a few questions...

Does the rear windshield wiper act in union with the front or is there some mysterious switch I'm missing? It doesn't operate at the moment so I figured I'd ask before tearing it all apart.

Is there engine tin and foam seal with vanagons, like there is with transporters? If so, anyone got some spare engine tin they wanna sell? ;-)

Is there power that comes from the antenna port in the radio? If not do I need to find a power source to make the retractable antenna work, or is that only for certain models of vanagon?

What does one do with their flushed antifreeze?

Thanks!

Cheers, Harry