Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Nov 2010 22:01:11 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Some potentially stupid actions
Comments: To: Rob <becida@comcast.net>

Propane and boats...or ships..

Propane is heavier than air. A ship's hull is shaped to keep water out. So any leak aboard a ship or boat, it will fill up the hull with leaked gas that seeks the lowest point and fills from there. If there is enough on board, it will fill the hull right up to the gunnels. That's why propane is rarely used on boats...if it ever leaks, it pools in the bottom of that air/water-tight hull and fills it. That is why most RVs carry their tanks outside or in lockers with vents to the outside..

The thermo-couple, the device that allows propane to flow to your appliances that have pilot lights...those are configured so that the Fail mode is "no flow"...You got a broken thermocouple, you will not get any gas flow through that line. Probably just as safe as a shut-off valve that you turn by hand...I guess.

I've driven around with lit propane fridges in various campers for many years...My Dometic stays on all summer, unless I run out of propane or it blows out...which happens maybe once per tank or every 3 weeks. Maybe one day you'll be driving down the Baja and see me in a melted puddle alongside the main highway or on some back "road" wishing I hadn't done anything so stupid as to drive round with a lit fridge...but I don't think so. Don Hanson