Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Nov 2010 05:45:48 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Some potentially stupid actions
Comments: To: Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>

This really works to toast oneself, house, garage, van in the garage, etc.

I worked for an engineering company who had a contract with a Law firm to test scenarios where the hot water tank caused fires and burned homes or caused deaths. A special little cement block house ws built, and gas hot water tank placed i a closet in typical installation, and an open 3 pound coffee can with a little gasoline in it set in the middle of the room. The door to the hot water tank utility closet was closet, the water tank pilot was lit, the everyone exited the place. In a short time, the fumes would drift across the floor to the crack under the door, reach the pilot light, and there was a big, loud "Whump" as the flash fire expanded the gases in the room and leaped to the gas can, and the doors were blown open from the explosion. I saw this scenario repeated over and over. The test was written up, the report then filed with the Lawyers, and all went to court.

I used to teach fire safety to the Eskimo people in western Alaska. With outboard motors, and snowmachines all over the place, storage of gasoline in plastic jerry cans and other containers was common, but the understanding of how fumes could cause fires, explosions, and burn people was not. I had a kit where i could demonstrate gas fumes moving from one place to another, getting on a pilot light, spark or other flame and causing an explosion. For one demonstration I had a plastic tube into which I put two drops of gasoline, then stoppered it with a cork. There were two tiny electrodes in the bottom, and when I put the battery to it, a tiny spark was created. Ignition occured, and the expanding gas blew the cork across the room. Always an impressive demo of the power of just a tiny bit of gasoline. Another demo especially liked by the kids was with a plastic tube with one end elevated. The lower end was next to a lit candle. The upper end was connected to a tin box with a lid. In the box was a rag with a bit of gasoline on it - just enough to make fumes. When I opened the side door to the tin box with the gasoline rag, the fumes - being heavier than air - began to settle down through the tube to the candle flame. In a few moments that would be a "Whump" sound, and a flash of flame would rush up the tube and set the rag in the can on fire.everyone would be most impressed. Once one little boy sitting close to the demo exclaimed "Aiiieee!! Magic!!"

So regards this business of fumes - take no chances. Be sure work areas are well ventilated and there are no open flames or sparks created anywhere. And when vehicles are in closed areas as inside ferries ( I travelled the Alaska Ferry system many times) be sure all pilot lights are off and fuel valves are closed. To have a fire at sea is very bad news!

John Rodgers Clayartist and Moldmaker 88'GL VW Bus Driver Chelsea, AL Http://www.moldhaus.com

On 11/4/2010 10:07 PM, Loren Busch wrote: > RE: Propane on while driving > Roger, I've heard those argument also and they don't make sense. All modern > propane fired device, even our much maligned Dometics in our Westfalias, > have a shut off if the main flame goes out. Same for self igniting gas > devices like stoves and refrigerators used in the home or in RVs. So the > flame blowing out while driving shuts off the flow of gas. That's why you > have to hold the button for a few seconds after lighting the Dometic, to > allow the thermocouple to heat to the point that the propane flow is held > open. > > As for the ferries, that concern I completely agree with. All it would take > is one gasoline leak from one other vehicle for fumes to reach a pilot light > on a propane device, like our refrigerators, and the mixture to be just > right to get an explosion and fire. How many people have toasted > themselves, or at least their garages/houses using an open container of gas > to clean auto parts in the garage where the gas fired hot water heater was > located? > >