Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Nov 2010 10:09:39 -0700
From:         Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Correct refilling of cooling system
Comments: To: A PETER MARSH <apetermarsh@mac.com>

The easy way is to use the 'Libby Bong' - see The Samba for pix or I can send you one.

- Open all heaters and the rad bleeder

- Fill bong repeatedly until almost all 4 gallons are in, massaging the fatter hoses front and back

- Cap expansion tank and overfill the overflow tank

- Start and run - any big bubbles will come out as soon as the thermostat opens, the rest will make their way out of the system through the 'coolant ring'

- Drive

Jake

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 8:40 AM, A PETER MARSH <apetermarsh@mac.com> wrote:

> Before I start - thank you to all the incredible knowledge and fixes you > all offer. > > Trying to get my "new" 91 Vanagon up to parr. Now registered after trying > for a month to locate the last registered owner, and insured. > > After the cooling system pressurizes - two leaks of great force appear. > One from the thermostat housing and the other from the 90 degree plastic > pipe (now to be replaced with metal variety) on passenger side of engine. > > What is the correct proceedure to refill the system? > > i thought I had read that there was a specific way to do this by getting > the front end elevated to try and rid the system of air locks. > > Once I get this up and running I can drive the Beast home and start to > tinker with lots of other bits - AC, brakes, clutch, electric windows - to > name a few. > > Thank you in advance for any assistance you may offer. > > Peter Marsh > Naples FL > 1981 VW veggy burning diesel Pickup > 1991 VW Vanagon GL > 2005 VW TDI Beetle > 1978 GMC Royale >

-- Jake

1984 Vanagon GL 1.9 WBX 'The Grey Van' 1986 Westy Weekender/2.5 SOHC Suby 'Dixie'

Crescent Beach, BC

www.thebassspa.com www.crescentbeachguitar.com http://subyjake.googlepages.com/mydixiedarlin%27