Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Nov 2010 16:26:40 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: checking castor (i.e. caster)
Comments: To: Larry Alofs <lalofs@gmail.com>

Can't help you with the rears but a couple of things on using the digital levels on the camber and caster set-up.

A digital readout level, called a "smart level" is pretty handy to use. It is just like a carpenter's bubble level but it has a digital readout and they are very accurate...3 different scales of accuracy..down to the 100th of a degree...way beyond the need of a vanagon alignment. I taped some blocks onto mine to bridge-out past the tires and hub centers..using the edges of the rims to take the readings. Make certain your suspension is 'settled' before you start. You need to drive onto a level area and do your alignment...if you jack up the vehicle to make adjustments...you should drive it around again to settle the suspension before you re-measure....because your suspension, when just let down from a jack is not fully down to where it will be on the road....so your alignment measurements will be way off...

What I have done to simplify this...and it seemed to be good enough for a ~200mph racecar...was to take all the measurements with the vehicle all settled out....write em down and figure out how much you have to change each setting....then jack it up and re-measure...making the changes from there..Not perfect...but I have re-checked after driving around with an alignment done in this way and It's within about .5 degrees... Better though is to make the changes, drive the vehicle and re-check...

Don Hanson