Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Nov 2010 07:04:13 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Was Smartphone....Now: conventional Dyno for tuning?

While I have no experience with Smart phones and their dyno apps, a regular dyno is the way to tune, to modify effectively, to quantify actual gains as you attempt to improve on your vehicles.

I wish I'd done a baseline dyno run on my recently-revised 1.8 l inline motor so I could compare what my actual increase in power has been . Having actual numbers 'means' something...Seat of the Pants impressions?....not so much. A few hours on a Mustang dyno (the one I am familiar with) after every major modification, tuning and tweeking, then you know you have found every last hp and lb/ft of torque possible from your latest 'improvement' It's quite illuminating. Surprising, too, how much can be gained or lost. Also informative to 'de-bunk'. A lot of 'common knowledge' can be shown as urban myth. Counter-intuitive changes can sometime give good performance improvements. Expensive aftermarket modifications sometimes give no meaningful gains. I would love to see some dyno print-outs on all the various engines used in Vanagons right now...from the same type dyno. I bet we would be surprised at some of the numbers.

The 'work-around' that I use with this Vanagon instead of taking repeated trips to Portland for actual 'roller-runs' is to repeat runs up a familiar highway with a long (about 4mi) steady 7% upgrade, see what kind of speeds I can sustain. Crude. It's so much better to have some real print-outs.

Some folks I know of use a widget called a "G-force". I assume these are similar to what you might get with a Smart Phone app....GPS, accelerometer, timing and some algorithms. These system's number's don't seem to jibe very meaningfully with the performance of the vehicles they are linked to in all cases, though I suppose you might get some useful data, percentage-wise..I would want to do some 'repeatability testing' to see if you could get the same numbers in repeated 'runs' using an I-Phone..An actual inertial dyno--that can give us 'apples to apples' numbers without a lot of variables.

Don Hanson