Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Nov 2010 16:42:09 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Hello - Idiot oil light keeps coming on!
Comments: To: Joy Hecht <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU>

well it shouldn't be impossible to fix if it's an electrical problem .. or even bypass the entire stock circuit.

it's a hyper simple circuit. It would be very easy to wire an entire independent circuit , if that's what it took to determine for sure there is no real oil pressure problem.

or install an oil pressure gauge. waterboxer engines are a little harder than most engines to put an oil pressure gauge on .. since OP switch location is between push rod tubes under a cover on the bottom of the left head.

I have one on my 85 Westy GL that's for sale.. had to engineer in a proper metal pipe, well supported against vibration stress....to mount the OP gauge sender and the original OP sender remotely a little.

but that works. It's good to make it so it's easy to get at the oil pressure switch under the left head. I often only use one of the two upper mounting tabs on that push rod cover tin.. it won't go anywhere with one upper mounting tab and two lower bolts. .. that way it's easy to get off. heck....you can even run without that cover in place until you get the oil pressure switch issue handled for good.

this is how simple a basic oil pressure switch is wired - 12 volts 'ignition on' goes to a light bulb with two contacts, to one of the contacts. the other contact is connected to the oil pressure switch, which supplies ground ( thus turning on the light ) any time there is less than whatever the threshold pressure is .. it's like 6 psi. that's all an oil pressure warning light circuit is.

as simple as a tail light circuit. If there is weirdness or poor contact in the instrument cluster area say .. that might be hard to find ...sure .. but basic understanding of the circuit and how it works, and testing or substituting is very, very easy.

particularly in a 1.9 wbxr. the 2.1 circuit is much more complicated.. but the 1.9 wbxr one is as simple as they get. Shouldn't be impossible to fix.

It is after all, just a blockage or leakage of fluids or electrons.. and since your engine hasn't blown up or seized, it's like an electrical issue. Oil pressure switches are inexpensive too. ( if that's where the problem is )

Scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Joy Hecht" <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, November 07, 2010 9:00 AM Subject: Re: Hello - Idiot oil light keeps coming on!