Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2010, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Nov 2010 17:49:03 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: [Syncro] Syncro Clutch Cross Shaft problems
Comments: To: Syncro@yahoogroups.com, pvc-vw <PVC-VW@yahoogroups.com>

hi Craig, if you need to work on the clutch on a syncro .. I think I would probably pull the engine myself.

one 'can' pull a syncro trans leaving the engine in place., but 'the trick' is to lower the back of the engine enough to remove the starter, then put engine back up ( actually , hang it by longer bolts on the ends of the rear cross bar ) then pull trans off of engine.

if your cross shaft is that seized.. I would expect the clutch disk to be very rusted to the pressure plate and flywheel as well.

the engine comes out fairly easily actually. You'll want to get all that old coolant out of the van anyway .. I'd leave the trans where it is for now, and pull the engine to get at clutch.

you can do some testing on the trans by hand with engine out and clutch freed up .. put it in each gear, turn the input shaft by hand to see if axles turn in each gear etc.

if it has a locking rear diff....would be very good to make sure that's not seized up too.

as for doing partial repairs on an unknown trans.. the choices are limited.. either fix what you know is broken with the clutch then see how the trans works, or .. take the transmission apart. not a very good choice. there is one small thing you can do to asses the trans without driving it or taking it apart....see how much is on the magnetic drain plug. Should there happen to be a small piece of gear tooth say , on that magnet ...that tells you something.

the suggestion is .. fix what you know is busted, and just keep going. 12 years is a long, long time for a vehicle to sit. you might be finding issues on it for a long time yet. some of the Syncro's I see are desperately rusted throughout.

congrats though on your fine new van ! Scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: craig cowan To: vanagon.com sending ; syncro ; pvc-vw Sent: Sunday, November 07, 2010 4:20 PM Subject: [Syncro] Syncro Clutch Cross Shaft problems

So, I got my new (to me) syncro running today! It hasn't (supposedly) run in twelve years, and I have it now starting up and running quite impressively. So I went to put it into gear to try out the drivetrain, and found that the clutch pedal is rock solid! I can bleed it at the slave and no bubbles come out (and the pedal then depresses) but the slave cylinder can't move the clutch cross shaft. It is really ceased in place. I have tried spraying it with PB blaster and all manner of pulling on it, but to no avail. It is tricky to try to pound on it from above, as there are many things in the way.

Any suggestions on what to do shy of pulling the transmission?

Why I don't want to pull the transmission: I have no idea what condition it is in. I would hate to pull it to fix the cross shaft than put it back in to find it doesn't work for some reason or another, only then to have to pull it again and have it rebuilt. I don't have the money for a rebuild at this time, so I am just trying to assume it to be good untill I know otherwise (And hope for positive encouragement, as I have no reason to assume anything else. The car was parked because of engine issues (I believe)).

Any suggestions?

-Craig '85GL turned WESTY BOSTIG in the back '87 SUNROOF Syncro

__._,_.___ Reply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via web post | Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1) Recent Activity: a.. New Members 3 Visit Your Group Please note that the default "Reply" function will route your reply to the entire group. If you have a private message for a member you'll need to specifically address your message to them. If you would like to modify your subscription settings (including unsubscribing), visit: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Syncro Rude or offensive language is not allowed on the Syncro list. Please try your best to resolve differences privately and keep them off the list.

MARKETPLACE Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.